Thursday, April 23, 2009

Grilled Pizzas, No-cook Spaghetti Sauce and Italian Seasoning Mix!

One of our favorite warm weather treats here is Grilled Pizza (aka "gorilla pizza"~ named by our younger boys).

My cooking style is definitely not gourmet, but I do love healthy, cost-effective meals that are family-pleasers. This one, according to the resounding cheers that are heard when the menu is announced, is a winner on all counts.

So, without further adieu, not one, not two, but three recipes for you! Remember, I am currently cooking for 12 (two children have grown up and left), so you may need to adjust these accordingly. Or, you might want to leave them in the quantity posted and freeze for a later meal~ your choice!

Grilled Pizzas

5 1/2 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. yeast
6ish cups freshly ground hard white wheat
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp. sea salt
3/4 cup olive oil
additional flour

Combine warm water, yeast and about 6 cups of the freshly ground whole wheat flour in Bosch mixer bowl. Mix until combined then turn off mixer, place lid on top and allow to "sponge" for 15 min. Add salt, olive oil and honey then, one cup at a time, add additional flour only until the dough "cleans the sides of the mixer." Allow to knead for 8 minutes on the second speed.

Once the dough is done kneading I place it in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap so it won't dry out.

I like to preheat our grill until it reaches about 350 degrees. Then I pull off an apple sized piece of dough, shape it into a small pizza crust (about 6" wide) and plop it on the grill.



The first time I tried this, I was convinced that the dough would fall through the grill or stick, so I used a non-stick spray on the grill first. Please don't try this... I'm fortunate to have hair still! Trust me, it really isn't necessary.

After placing the dough on the grill, I close the lid and let the pizza crusts cook for a few minutes without topping them.

Once they are lightly browned on the bottom, I flip them


and then add the toppings of choice. Tonight we went very simple, with spaghetti/pizza sauce (recipe below), mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.



When the garden is producing well, I love to add fresh sliced tomatoes, green peppers and all sorts of other goodies. The really thick veggies can be pre-cooked directly on the grill before placing them on the pizzas. Fresh, homemade goat's cheese is a super-yummy treat as well. When we have lots of milk in the spring from our little Nubian dairy goat herd, I love to include fresh mozzarella cheese~ such a great treat!

Once I have topped the pizzas, I again close the lid on the grill and allow them to cook for a few minutes, just until the bottoms begin to brown. At that point I transfer them to the top rack of the grill to continue to bake and start a new batch of pizzas on the lower grill.

If you want to pre-cook some pizza crusts for a later meal, it works best to cook them most of the way, lightly browned on one side and not quite starting to brown on the other, then freeze with no toppings. When you are ready to cook them, simply pull them out of the freezer, let them defrost partially, then top the browned side and cook on the grill until done. Delish!
Yield: 25 6"-8" grilled pizzas! Yummy!


Up next: the recipe I promised you for "no-cook" (really! and it's quite good!) pizza or spaghetti sauce. This is a staple for us. I keep it in the freezer, frozen in quart zipper freezer bags. I use it for pizzas, for pizza stromboni, for spaghetti and meatballs, etc. It freezes really well, is super-quick to make and tastes great too!


No-Cook Pizza or Spaghetti Sauce

4 lb. 4 1/2 oz. can crushed tomatoes (think Sams size!)
4 tsp. garlic, crushed (for me, that is a minimum~ I love garlic!)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (recipe following)

OK, this one's tough. Mix and freeze. I usually multiply it and use four or five of the large Sams size cans of crushed tomatoes at a time. Once it is mixed I ladel it into quart sized freezer zipper-type bags and freeze. Be sure to tell the children who might carry the bags to the freezer to lay them flat to freeze!


Italian Seasoning

1/3 cup Oregano, dried and crushed
1/3 cup basil, dried and crushed
2 Tbsp rosemary
1/4 cup thyme
1/4 cup sage
1/4 cup marjoram

Mix and store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 1/4 cup.

Hope you enjoy these as much as we do~ feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions, etc. I'll do my best to answer!

Warmly,
Susan

1 comment:

  1. These look Delicious! I never thought of grilling pizza crusts! I will have to give this recipe a try! Sounds simple and delicious and who doesnt' love pizza??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to contribute by commenting! I read and value each comment and will do my best to reply promptly. Your thoughtful interaction here encourages me. :)